Top Hill Stations Near Hyderabad For An Unforgettable Holiday
For travelers looking for hill stations near Hyderabad, options are many and diverse. In addition to offering a getaway from maddening crowds, hectic work, and monotonous routines, these are places where you can rejuvenate yourself and appreciate nature’s handiwork.
Here comes the best part. As the city is in Telangana, a state bordered by Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Maharashtra, Hyderabad gives access to hill stations and holiday destinations in these states.
Horsley Hills, Srisailam, and Lambasingi are among the most popular hill stations near Hyderabad, all located in Andhra Pradesh. Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar in Maharashtra and Dandeli in Karnataka are also within 600 km of the city.
List Of Hill Stations Near Hyderabad
- Ananthagiri Hills (80 km)
- Eegalapenta (195 km)
- Srisailam (215 km)
- Maredumilli (430)
- Papikondalu (450 km)
- Horsley Hills (535 km)
- Lambasingi (550 km)
- Tirumala (575 km)
- Panchgani (580 km)
- Dandeli (585 km)
- Chikhaldara (595 km)
- Mahabaleshwar (595 km)
Best Hill Stations Near Hyderabad
Short trips, long holidays, staycations, or adventure trips, the hill stations near Hyderabad promise an extraordinary experience. Given below are our recommendations:
1. Ananthagiri Hills (80 km)
Located in the Vikarabad district of Telangana, Ananthagiri Hills in the Eastern Ghats is one of the top hill stations near Hyderabad within 100 km for a quick weekend getaway. The Musi River, which provides water to Himayat Sagar and Osman Sagar dams, originates from these hills.
Ananthagiri Hills is a great destination for adventurers as the verdant forests here have excellent trekking trails. Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Temple, also called Ananthagiri Temple, is a major attraction in the hill station for nirvana seekers.
Additionally, the region surrounding the hills has several tourist attractions ranging from temples, caves, forts, and religious landmarks to viewpoints, lakes, forest streams, and more.
- Where: Vikarabad District, Telangana
- Attractions in and around Ananthagiri Hills: Anantha Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Nagasamudram Lake, Ananthagiri Hills Viewpoint, Godamguda Viewpoint, Bhavanasi Lake, Kotpally Reservoir, etc.
- Things to do in Ananthagiri Hills: Trekking, nature walks, photography, boating, kayaking, sightseeing, and camping
2. Eegalapenta (195 km)
Are you looking for a quick weekend getaway? Pack your bags and head off to Eegalapenta, one of the lesser-known and lesser-explored hill stations near Hyderabad. Snuggled in the mighty Nallamala Hill Ranges, it is a small hillside hamlet in the Mahabubnagar district of Telangana, located on the way to Srisailam.
Eegalapenta came into the limelight in 2020 when the Telangana Tourism Department opened a resort in the village. You can catch beautiful views of the surrounding hillocks, verdant forests, the Krishna River, and Srisailam Dam from the property. The ride from Hyderabad to Eegalapenta, which takes you through the ghat roads of the Nallamala Forest, is also a rewarding experience.
Though Eegalapenta is primarily known for its stunning views, it also has a decent range of tourist attractions in and around the region. For instance, you can take a trip to the nearby Amrabad Tiger Reserve and go for jungle safaris. The scenic Mallela Thirtham Waterfall is also a short trip away from here.
The small yet stunning village of Eegalapenta serves as a great base to explore the attractions and places in the Nallamala Hills. Srisailam, another top hill station near Hyderabad, is only around 20 km from here.
- Where: Mahabubnagar, Telangana
- Attractions in and around Eegalapenta: Amrabad Tiger Reserve,Mallela Theertham Waterfalls, Octopus Viewpoint, etc.
- Things to do in Eegalapenta: Jungle safaris in the Amrabad Tiger Reserve and local sightseeing
- Details Eegalapenta Haritha Resort: Click here
3. Srisailam (215 km)
When you want your hillside holidays to be a rich cultural experience, there’s no better hill station near Hyderabad than Srisailam. This small town in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh is primarily known as a holy site, but it also doubles as a holiday destination for all kinds of holidaymakers.
What makes Srisailam one of the best hill stations near Chennai is its location in the Nallamala Hill Ranges of the Eastern Ghats. Being part of the Nagarjunsagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve, the largest tiger reserve in India, the place attracts wildlife enthusiasts all year round.
Besides the reserve, the region is famous for the Mallikarjuna Temple, also known as the Srisailam Temple. There are several other attractions in and around Srisailam, including caves and dams. Pathala Ganga, a sacred place near Mallikarjuna Temple, is another top attraction here. The Andhra Pradesh Tourism Department runs ropeway rides to Pathala Ganga, which further adds to its appeal.
If you have some extra time on hand, take a trip to the famous Mallela Theertham Waterfalls, which is 60 km away. While in Srisailam, you can also visit other attractions in and around Nallamala Hills such as Eegalapenta, Umamaheshwaram, and Mahanadi Temple, Amrabad Tiger Reserve, and the like.
- Where: Kurnool District, Telangana
- Attractions in and around Srisailam: Mallikarjuna Temple, Nagarjunasagar-Srisailam Tiger Reserve, Pathala Ganga, Akkamahadevi Caves, Srisailam Dam, Shikareshwara Temple, etc.
- Things to do in Srisailam: Ropeways, boating, temple tours, wildlife safaris, and local sightseeing
Read: Top 22 Hill Stations Near Chennai
4. Maredumilli (430 km)
Maredumilli, one of the lesser-explored hill stations near Hyderabad, is known for its semi-evergreen forests, rich biodiversity, and scenic setting. This small sleepy hamlet is in the East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh, around 85 km away from Rajahmundry, and forms part of the verdant Eastern Ghats.
The major attractions around Maredumilli include Jalatarangini waterfalls, Swarnadhara waterfalls, and Sokuleru Vagu Viewpoint, to name a few. There are many trekking trails, nature trails, and viewpoints in and around the area. The small streams that flow through the forests of Maredumilli provide a pleasant sight for your sore eyes.
The Forest Department of Andhra Pradesh has a community-based eco-tourism project in Maredumilli with several facilities, including accommodation. The Jungle Star nature campsite, which is part of the project, lets you experience the thrills of camping deep inside the forests of the Eastern Ghats. To know more about the Maredumilli eco-tourism project, click here.
- Where: East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh
- Attractions in and around Maredumilli: Jalatarangini waterfall, Swarnadhara waterfall, Rampa Waterfalls, Sokuleru Vagu Viewpoint, Manyam Viewpoint, Bhupathipalem Reservoir, etc.
- Things to do in Maredumilli: Sightseeing, trekking, nature walks, and camping
5. Papikondalu (450 km)
Want to take a trip to one of the hill stations near Hyderabad that boasts the grandeur of lofty mountains and the charm of rivers? We suggest Papikondalu, popularly known as Papi Hills, for a quick and refreshing getaway.
Located in the West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh, Papikondalu is a series of mountain ranges that run along the Godavari River. It is a short distance away from Rajahmundry and attracts visitors all year round with many attractions and activities.
Of the many experiences Papikondalu offers, the cruise on the River Godavari is a unique one. Several tour operators provide single-day or multi-day cruises covering Rajahmundry, Papikondalu, and Bhadrachalam. The overnight stay at Kolluru Bamboo Huts, situated on the river banks, adds to the experience.
While in Papi Hills, you can also visit other tourist attractions in and around the region, including Gandi Pochamma Temple and Perantapalli Village. If you are an adventure seeker, you can also engage in adventure activities like camping, trekking, and more.
- Where: West Godavari, Andhra Pradesh
- Attractions in and around Papikondalu: Gandi Pochamma Temple, Perantapalli Village, Rama Krishna Munivatam (Perantapalli Ashramam), Papikonda National Park, Pattiseema, Lord Veerabhadra Temple, etc.
- Things to do in Papikondalu: River cruises, overnight camping/riverside camping, trekking, and sightseeing
6. Horsley Hills (535 km)
Named after W.D. Horsley, the Kadapa district collector during the colonial regime, Horsley Hills is one of the most celebrated hill stations near Hyderabad. Whether you are looking for a laid-back vacation or a fun-filled getaway, this quaint hillside holiday destination is your best bet.
Situated in the Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh, at an altitude of over 4,200 feet above sea level, Horsley Hills offers you a visual treat and is often called the Ooty of Andhra Pradesh. It is also located a short trip away from other major metro cities in south India, including Bangalore (170 km) and Chennai (260 km).
For those who are yearning for a sightseeing tour, the hill station offers many attractions like viewpoints and temples. Kalyani, the 150-plus-year-old eucalyptus tree, is another major attraction here. While in Horsley Hills, you can also take a trip to the famous Kaigal Falls, which is around 100 km away.
- Where: Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh
- Attractions in and around Horsley Hills: Gali Bandalu,Whisper Winds Viewpoint, Gangotri Lake, Horsley Hills Zoo, Sri Chennakesava Temple, Kalyani – The Eucalyptus Tree, etc.
- Things to do in Horsley Hills: Sightseeing, trekking, hiking, night camping, rock climbing, and adventure sports
7. Lambasingi (550 km)
Did you know that there is a place in South India where you can experience snowfall? Yes, we are talking about Lambasingi, a small village in the Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh. It is no surprise that this hill station near Hyderabad is popularly known as the Kashmir of South India.
The occasional snowfall during winters apart, Lambasingi attracts visitors due to several factors. Located in the Eastern Ghats, it is encased with deciduous forests known for their diversity of wildlife and avifauna. Besides vast areas of coffee, eucalyptus, and pine plantations, you will also see a few strawberry and apple farms in this region.
For avid travelers who would love to explore local attractions, there are quite a few tourist spots in and around Lambasingi. These include Thajangi Reservoir, Kothapalli Waterfalls, and Susan Garden, among others. Araku Valley, one of the best hill stations near Hyderabad, is located around 90 km from here, while the city of Visakhapatnam is approx. 100 km away.
The village also offers plenty of adventure opportunities, ranging from trekking to mountain biking to camping. Blessed with natural beauty, towering hills, picturesque valleys, and lush green farms and plantations, Lambasingi is truly a hidden gem worthy of your time.
- Where: Visakhapatnam District, Andhra Pradesh
- Attractions in and around Lambasingi: Thajangi Reservoir, Susan Garden, Kothapalli Waterfalls, Ghat Road, Yerravaram Waterfalls, Kondakarla Bird Sanctuary, Bojjannakonda, etc.
- Things to do in Lambasingi: Plantation/farm tours and walks, driving through the Ghat Road, trekking, sightseeing, and night camping
8. Tirumala/Tirupati (575 km)
A unique feature of many hill stations in India is that they are often home to temples, shrines, and other religious attractions and hence double as pilgrimage sites. Tirumala, one of the top holy sites cum hill stations near Hyderabad, is a good case in point.
Tirumala, a hill town in the Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh, is perched atop the Seshachalam Hills at an altitude of over 3,200 feet above sea level. Surrounded by seven peaks, it is best known for the iconic Venkateswara Swamy Temple, which is widely known as Tirupati Balaji Temple.
Tirumala also has a varied range of religious and tourist attractions in and around its proximity. The natural rock formation of Sila Thoranam, the sacred waterfalls of Akasa Ganga, Sri Venkateswara National Park, and TTD Gardens are a few among the top attractions here.
Tirumala is best suited for holy trips and temple tours, thanks to the many shrines scattered around the hill town. The Talakona waterfalls located within the Sri Venkateswara National Park is a famous picnic spot that attracts devotees and tourists alike.
- Where: Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh
- Attractions in and around Tirumala: Sri Venkateswara Swamy Temple, Akasa Ganga Waterfalls, Sila Thoranam, Sri Venkateswara National Park, Deer Park, TTD Gardens, Srivari Padala Mandapam, Talakona Waterfalls, Srivari Museum, Sri Govindaraja Swamy Temple, Papavinasanam Dam, ISKCON Tirupati, etc.
- Things to do in Tirumala: Temple tours and local sightseeing
9. Panchgani (580 km)
Did you know that Panchgani, one of the most-visited hill stations in Maharashtra, is located within driving distance of Hyderabad? This picture-perfect hill station perched amidst the Sahyadri Mountain Ranges is in the Satara district of Maharashtra. If you are taking a road trip, you can reach Panchgani from Hyderabad within 12 hours.
Just as the name suggests, Panchgani is surrounded by five hills, and it once served as the summer resort of the colonial rulers. At an elevation of over 4,200 meters above sea level, the place boasts everything scenic – rolling valleys, towering peaks, serene lakes, and more.
One of the major attractions here is Table Land, the second-longest mountain plateau in the continent. The region is dotted with attractions like Sydney Point and Parsi Point and offers adrenaline-pumping adventure activities such as paragliding and trekking. While here, you can also explore the attractions in Mahabaleshwar, which is just 20 km away.
For travelers looking for a memorable road trip and a delightful holiday by the hillside, Panchgani is one of the best hill stations near Hyderabad. You could also fly to Pune, the nearest city to Panchgani, and cover the remaining distance by road.
- Where: Satara District, Maharashtra
- Attractions in and around Panchgani: Table Land,Sydney Point, Parsi Point, Rajpuri Caves, Lingmala Falls, Devil’s Kitchen, Devrai Art Village, attractions in Mahabaleshwar, etc.
- Things to do in Panchgani: Paragliding, trekking, hiking, local sightseeing, drive to Mahabaleshwar, biking, shopping at Shivaji Circle, and camping
10. Dandeli (585 km)
While many of the hill stations near Hyderabad are in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, or Maharashtra, there are also a few in Karnataka. Dandeli, a hill town located in the Western Ghats of Uttara Kannada district, is such a holiday destination where you can lose yourself in nature.
What adds to the surreal charm of this small hill station is its scenic location on the banks of the Kali River. It also makes Dandeli a popular destination in South India for whitewater rafting, kayaking, and other watersports and adventure activities.
The Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is another major attraction you must visit on your trip. The region is also surrounded by several other places of interest, including scenic viewpoints like Shiroli Peak, temples and historical attractions like Shivaji Fort and Ulavi Temple, nature camps, waterfalls, and more.
Located close to the Karnataka-Goa border, Dandeli also gives access to Goa, the land of beaches. Panjim, the capital of Goa, is just around 130 km from here. You will need at least two days to explore Dandeli and its attractions, so plan the trip accordingly.
- Where: Uttara Kannada, Karnataka
- Attractions in and around Dandeli: Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, Kavala Caves, Syntheri Rocks, Shiroli Peak, Dandelappa Temple, Ulavi Temple, Supa Dam, Sykes Viewpoint, Moulangi Falls, Shivaji Fort, Sri Mallikarjuna Temple, etc.
- Things to do in Dandeli: Whitewater rafting, kayaking, canyoning, coracle ride, jungle stays, wildlife safaris, jungle camping, trekking, birdwatching, nature walks, river crossing, and mountain biking
11. Chikhaldara (595 km)
Snuggled at an altitude around 3,900 feet above sea level, Chikhaldara is a hill station in the Amravati district of Maharashtra. A road trip of around 12 hours from Hyderabad will take you to this holiday destination which is as famous for its picturesque beauty as for its mythological significance – it is believed to be the place where Bhima, one of the Pandava brothers, killed Keechaka.
Chikhaldara has the added reputation of being the only region in Maharashtra where coffee is cultivated. Sprawling coffee estates, deep valleys, beautiful lakes, splendid viewpoints, rich wildlife, and diverse flora and fauna are a few things that have earned Chikhaldara a place in the list of hill stations near Hyderabad.
There’s no dearth of local attractions in and around Chikhaldara. It runs the gamut of historical attractions like Gawilgad Fort, wildlife hotspots like Melghat Tiger Reserve, several viewpoints, lakes, museums, gardens, and more. The region also offers opportunities for camping and trekking.
- Where: Amravati District, Maharashtra
- Attractions in and around Chikhaldara: Gawilgad Fort, Melghat Tiger Reserve, Bhim Kund, Muktagiri, Panchbol Point, Bir Lake, Narnala Fort, Monkey Point, Bakadari and Kalalkund Waterfalls, Gugamal National Park, Hurricane Point, Botanical Garden, Sunset Point, etc.
- Things to do in Chikhaldara: Local sightseeing, trekking, enjoying the sunrise and sunsets, and jungle safaris at Melghat Tiger Reserve
12. Mahabaleshwar (595 km)
Fostered by the Sahyadri Mountain Range, Mahabaleshwar is among the most rewarding hill stations near Hyderabad and most-visited holiday destinations in India. This hill town in the Satara district of Maharashtra is best known across the country for its strawberry production, tourist attractions, and salubrious weather.
Back in the colonial days, Mahabaleshwar served as the summer capital of the Bombay Presidency. Today, it attracts travelers across the year with a gamut of sightseeing options. These include viewpoints like Wilson Point and Mumbai Point, historical attractions like Pratapgarh Fort, waterfalls like Lingmala Waterfalls and Chinaman’s Falls, and several other places of interest.
While in Mahabaleshwar, you can also explore the Wax Museum, go camping at Tapola, and indulge in a session of strawberry picking at one of the many strawberry farms located in and around the region. The UNESCO World Heritage site of Kaas Plateau is also around 38 km from here.
Panchgani, another one of the popular hill stations near Hyderabad, is just a short trip away from here. We suggest you combine both these hill stations to ensure that you get to enjoy the best of both on your trip.
- Where: Satara District, Maharashtra
- Attractions in and around Mahabaleshwar: Wilson Point, Venna Lake, Mapro Garden, Mahabaleshwar Temple, Lingmala Waterfall, Dhobi Waterfall, Bombay Point, Wax Museum, Connaught Peak, Chinaman’s Falls, Morarji Castle, Arthur’s Seat, Kate’s Point, etc.
- Things to do in Mahabaleshwar: Local sightseeing, trekking, photography, strawberry picking, boating, shopping for strawberries and strawberry-based products, and camping
If you are up for a long road trip, there are a few more hill stations near Hyderabad you could consider for your much-needed vacation. Amboli (610) and Lonavala (625 km) in Maharashtra, Chikmagalur (650 km) in Karnataka, and Araku Valley (655 km) in Andhra Pradesh are some of our suggestions.
These above-listed hill stations near Hyderabad offer you a delightful journey into the very heart of nature. Sprinkled with varied attractions like lakes, waterfalls, viewpoints, temples, wildlife sanctuaries, trekking trails, and more, these holiday destinations cater to all kinds of travelers in equal degrees.