Want to register an online FIR in Delhi? Want to know how to cancel FIR filed with Delhi police? Looking for a way to report theft or file a lost report online with Delhi police without visiting the police station?
Well, if you got something stolen in Delhi and are hesitant about visiting a police station to report the theft, you can surely file an FIR online with the Delhi police. In this article, we answer all your questions related to online FIR registration in Delhi filing and police complaint in Delhi.
What Is An FIR
A First Information Report, more commonly known as FIR, is typically filed with the concerned police station, in cases of cognizable offences like theft, murder, etc. In case of such cognizable offences, the police have the power to investigate and arrest the offender, without a warrant.
You Might Want To Read
- Applying For Online Marriage Certificate In Delhi – What You Need To Know
- Delhi Jal Board Bill Payment
- E Challan Delhi – The An To Z Of Delhi Traffic Police Challan Online Payment
How To File Online FIR In Delhi For Theft – Video Guide
How To File Online Lost Report in Delhi
Online FIR In Delhi – FAQs
Read FAQs on registering online FIR in Delhi police and reporting theft.
Why Should You File An FIR In Delhi?
Filing an offline or online FIR in Delhi ensures that an offence is duly reported to the concerned police station. Once an FIR is filed, it is mandatory for the Police to take action.
Filing an online FIR in Delhi will also ensure that you are protected in cases, where the stolen property is misused. An FIR may sometimes be required for you to claim insurance or for getting replacements or duplicate copies.
Where Can You File An Online FIR In Delhi Police?
Once you click on the Citizen Services you will find the option to file a Theft e-FIR. You will need to register as a user, by providing a valid email ID, and phone number. Once your registration is validated through an OTP, you can ‘Login’.
What Are the Details Needed For Filing An Online FIR In Delhi For Theft?
In addition to your personal information such as name, gender, email address, parentage, mobile number etc., you will need the following additional information handy to file an online FIR in Delhi:
1. Place in Delhi, where your property was stolen
2. Concerned police station (a Google search with the place of theft will help you find this)
3. District in Delhi
4. Date and Time of theft
5. Type of Theft (Pick Pocketing, Luggage Lifting or other Theft)
6. If you have any suspect in mind, their details to the extent you know
7. Details of the property stolen
How to File Online FIR In Delhi For Theft?
You need to follow the following steps for filing an e-FIR for Theft in Delhi.
1. Select Citizen Services on the Delhi Police Website
2. Select the option Theft e-FIR
3. Select the Option ‘Stolen Property’
4. Login OTP you receive by entering your registered email ID or mobile number.
5. Select Register FIR
6. Fill in the details of the Complainant
7. In the next tab, fill in the details of the incident such as type, place, information on suspect, if you have any, etc.
8. Next tab will be for suspect details
9. Fill in the details of the property stolen in the next tab
10. Any additional information can be filled in the last tab.
11. Ensure that all columns marked mandatory are filled in correctly. You will not be able to correct the information you enter, once you register the FIR.
12. Once you have filled in all the details, click on ‘Register’.
How to File Online FIR With Delhi Police For Motor Vehicle Theft?
There is a separate option available in the Citizen Services for filing Online FIR in Delhi for vehicle theft. You need to register separately on the platform after choosing the option MV e-FIR and follow the below steps for filing an e-FIR for Motor Vehicle Theft in Delhi.
1. Select the option MV Theft e-FIR
2. Login OTP you receive by entering your registered email ID or mobile number.
3. Select Register FIR
4. Fill in the details of the Complainant
5. In the next tab, fill in the details of the stolen vehicle.
6. Fill the details of any other property that was stolen along with the vehicle in the next tab.
7. Any additional information can be filled in the last tab, including details of any suspect that you may have.
8. Ensure that all columns marked mandatory are filled in correctly. You will not be able to correct the information you enter, once you register the FIR.
9. Once the details are filled in, click on ‘Register’
Can You view the Online FIR Filed With Delhi Police?
Yes. You can retrieve the details of your FIR, by choosing the “Retrieve” option.
Is Filing An Online FIR With Delhi Police Necessary If Your Property Was Lost But Not Stolen?
No. However, if you lost a property, and you are unsure if it was stolen, you can still make use of the online platform to file a Lost Report.
How can You File a Lost Report with Delhi Police?
While reporting a lost item, you need not register or Login. You can follow the simple steps as below to report your lost item:
1. Select Citizen Services on the Delhi Police Website.
2. Choose the option ‘Lost and Found’.
3. Select the option Lost Article.
4. Fill in your details and the details of the lost article.
5. Fill in the date and time (as you know) of loss of article
6. Submit the report
What actions will be taken When You file a e-FIR for Theft?
The concerned police station will mandatorily take action when you report a Theft. One of the key things you need to remember while opting to file a complaint or an online FIR with Delhi Police – any false reporting is a punishable offence. Please verify and confirm that your property is indeed lost or stolen before you report it officially.
What actions will be taken When You file a Lost Report?
A report of Lost Article is for information purposes only. However, when any article is reported as found, the police station will use the Lost Article reports to verify whether the item found was reported as lost.
Can You Report Any Lost Article That You Found In Delhi?
Yes. Just like reporting a Lost Article, you can also use the ‘Lost and Found’ option, to register any lost item that you may have found in Delhi. Unlike in the case of a ‘Lost Article’, the report of any item found will immediately be reported to the nearest police station, and you will be contacted by the police station. You will have to deposit the found item at the nearest police station.
Is there a mobile application for reporting a Lost Article in Delhi?
You can download the mobile application – Delhi Police Lost Report, for reporting a Lost Article.
Will You Get a Copy of the Lost Report Filed Online?
Yes. You will receive a digitally signed Lost Report, which you will need for various purposes such as applying for duplicate copies, etc.